After a long time running the comvatars plugin which automatically picks your avatar based on a column in the comment table– and has given me a ton of headaches:
- Every time someone new comes and comments, they get assigned a random avatar. Not having many good random avatars available, people have complained because “I’m not a girl”, “It’s ugly”, etc.
- It’s a lot of work to chase down someone’s avatar and put it into the system. I have to crop the image, get it into the database, and then I have received people asking if I’ve asked permission to use their image.
- Since I modified Count Comments to only go back 30 days and show images, after 30 days if you didn’t have the image in your content record and you made the top five you had no image. This is a pain simply because of how often I’ve had to go in the database, find the url to your current icon, and then update the new rows– and I was doing all of this without you even knowing!
So, I’ve launched a new image plugin that works as follows:
- Every logged in author of a comment will get the image they setup. The default will be a big question mark that you see on the right.
- Once you’re logged in, go to “My Profile” and pick an image to upload. Please keep it smaller than 60×60.
- Unregistered users will not have an image.
- I will be modifying Comment Count to lookup your e-mail address in the user table and from there show your image. You’ll get the question mark if I can’t find you there (motivation to get registered).
The other benefits of registering is that you’ll be able to get e-mails telling you about what’s going on that week on the site, personal insights, ability to contribute guest posts, and now your image.
Don’t worry– if you need help with an image, I’ll still resize and crop it and even upload it for you. The big question is, should I just register all of you that I’ve already done images for, or should I have you register on your own?