One of the greatest tools that we have to effect the way others feel is our tongue. Many a leader has attributed his ability to weather the toughest times in his life because of people willing to give encouraging words.
The Bible tells us that we are to be building one another up with our words– strengthening each other, bringing people to a closer relationship with Christ. As one flesh before God, this command is magnified in that we should be ones that draw each other with our speech.
It’s no secret that women talk more then men, and so it shouldn’t come as a surprise that the Bible has more to say about how women use their tongue in marriage than men.
Godly Wife, how do you use your tongue? Do you use it to attract or to repel? Let’s look at some passages about both:
Come, my beloved, let us go forth into the field; let us lodge in the villages. – Song of Solomon 7:11
A virtuous woman is a crown to her husband: but she that maketh ashamed is as rottenness in his bones. – Proverbs 12:4
Every wise woman buildeth her house: but the foolish plucketh it down with her hands. – Proverbs 14:1
A foolish son is the calamity of his father: and the contentions of a wife are a continual dropping. – Proverbs 19:13
A continual dropping in a very rainy day and a contentious woman are alike. – Proverbs 27:15
What is the goal of how you speak to your husband? Is it to make him more attracted with you or is it to somehow boost yourself. How does your husband react to having conversation with you? Does it seem that he wants to spend more time with you, wants to be more intimate with you, or does he tend to want to spend more time away.
Men are not as simple as some women think that they are– they take a lot more verbal abuse than you think because they internalize it. Just think of the relationship you could have if you start or continue to use words that draw each other closer!
Question Idea taken from Questions for a Godly Wife
- Godly Wife: Is He Your Master?
- Godly Wife: Who Are You Seeking to Please?
- Godly Wife: Are You His Helper or His Obstacle?
- Godly Wife: Does Your Husband’s Heart Trust in You?
- Godly Wife: How Do You Handle When He is Wrong?
- Godly Wife: How do you Handle Disagreements?
- Godly Wife: How Do You Receive Correction?
- Godly Wife: Are You Drawing Him to You with Your Speech?
- Godly Wife: How Does Your Husband Grow?
- Godly Wife: Who Trains the Children?
- Godly Wife: How Do You Make Your Husband Feel?
- Godly Wife: Are You Intimately Available?
- Godly Wife: Do You Speak To Your Husband with Flattering Words?
- Godly Wife: Are You Helping Your Husband to Greater Heights?
- Godly Wife: Are You Keeping Your Wedding Vows?
- Godly Wife: Do You Dominate Your Husband?
- Godly Wife: Have You Cut the Cord?