There’s a really good reason that God said what He did in Genesis 2:23-24.
And Adam said, This is now bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh: she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man. Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.
Because the two had become one, it was important for the new unit to leave the previous parent/child relationship in order to strengthen the bond with the new husband/wife relationship.
No doubt we’ve all heard our share of mother-in-law jokes. The reason that these abound, however, is that we all know interfering parents– not our parents or in-laws, just others. The fact of the matter is, our parents have a long relationship with us, one that is build over a long period of time. They know very little about our spouse. Therefore, they will tend to side with their own child and against the new spouse if asked to choose sides.
The question is, Godly Wife, do you give your parents the opportunity to criticize your husband? Do you point out his weak points to them, or are you united with him? They say, in politics, that the arguments between parties end at the borders (though that doesn’t seem to be the case as much now). Does any disagreement you have with your husband find its way out of your house and to your parents?
Who do you go to for advice or information? Does your parents know more about how you’re feeling or thinking than your spouse? Is he kept in the loop?
Issues of marriage are best kept between husband, wife and the Lord. I’m not saying that if there’s a sin issue there that you shouldn’t seek counseling from a pastor or parent, but what I am saying is that you need to make sure that your husband is the person that you look to for love and direction, not your mom and dad.
Question Idea taken from Questions for a Godly Wife
- Godly Wife: Is He Your Master?
- Godly Wife: Who Are You Seeking to Please?
- Godly Wife: Are You His Helper or His Obstacle?
- Godly Wife: Does Your Husband’s Heart Trust in You?
- Godly Wife: How Do You Handle When He is Wrong?
- Godly Wife: How do you Handle Disagreements?
- Godly Wife: How Do You Receive Correction?
- Godly Wife: Are You Drawing Him to You with Your Speech?
- Godly Wife: How Does Your Husband Grow?
- Godly Wife: Who Trains the Children?
- Godly Wife: How Do You Make Your Husband Feel?
- Godly Wife: Are You Intimately Available?
- Godly Wife: Do You Speak To Your Husband with Flattering Words?
- Godly Wife: Are You Helping Your Husband to Greater Heights?
- Godly Wife: Are You Keeping Your Wedding Vows?
- Godly Wife: Do You Dominate Your Husband?
- Godly Wife: Have You Cut the Cord?