One of the most important weapons in staying pure is making the decision before you get into a situation. This goes for any sin, not just physical sin with the opposite sex.
Knowing what God thinks about the sin, how you should feel about the sin, and deciding that you will not get anywhere near the sin will go a long way to keeping you pure.
The first question you need to ask yourself is why you are deciding to be pure. The reason that this is important is because if the reason is not strong then you will be able to find an excuse to get around it in the “heat of the moment.”
Some reasons to remain pure are:
- If I remain pure, I am less likely to contract a sexually transmitted disease.
- If I remain pure, I will be able to give my all to my husband/wife.
- If I remain pure, I will be able to please my family.
- If I remain pure, I will be able to wear white on my wedding day.
- If I remain pure, I will be able to please God.
- If I remain pure, I will not get pregnant.
All of these are reasons that people would be motivated to remain pure until marriage. What are some others? What ones did you/are you using?