This question goes hand in hand with how you make your husband feel. Whenever a man thinks and dreams about accomplishing something– whether it be at church, in the workforce, or with his family– there’s an internal calculator that has to count the costs of doing such a thing.
One of the biggest factors is time– how much of my time will it take for me to do this thing, where will I find the time, and how much time can I afford? Only slightly less (and is a part of the time question) is how will my family– specifically my wife– react to me trying this?
Proverbs 31:23 states:
Her husband is known in the gates, when he sitteth among the elders of the land.
This is a testimony to the Godly Wife encouraging her husband to do God-honoring feats. You see, your husband will be weary of attempting something if he knows that you are not with him. In some cases he will press on anyway, but doing so because he counted the cost and knows what the outcome could be. This is not fun for either party.
As he considers striving for higher goals, and weighs his assets against his liabilities, which are you? Can he say, “The whole world may be against me, but I know I can count on God and my wife to be with me all the way?” Or must he sigh, “This will be challenging, and all the more so because I can never predict from hour to hour whether my wife will be my best friend or my worst and cruelest enemy” (cf. Prov. 25:19)? Or worse still, must he groan, “I don’t see how I can even try this, since my wife will be cutting and tearing at me every step of the way” (Prov. 12:4b)?
So, what are you like, Godly Wife, when your husband wants to pursue God-honoring feats? Are you the kind that will be behind him encouraging him, or will you be unpredictable and possibly cutting him down?
Question Idea taken from Questions for a Godly Wife
- Godly Wife: Is He Your Master?
- Godly Wife: Who Are You Seeking to Please?
- Godly Wife: Are You His Helper or His Obstacle?
- Godly Wife: Does Your Husband’s Heart Trust in You?
- Godly Wife: How Do You Handle When He is Wrong?
- Godly Wife: How do you Handle Disagreements?
- Godly Wife: How Do You Receive Correction?
- Godly Wife: Are You Drawing Him to You with Your Speech?
- Godly Wife: How Does Your Husband Grow?
- Godly Wife: Who Trains the Children?
- Godly Wife: How Do You Make Your Husband Feel?
- Godly Wife: Are You Intimately Available?
- Godly Wife: Do You Speak To Your Husband with Flattering Words?
- Godly Wife: Are You Helping Your Husband to Greater Heights?
- Godly Wife: Are You Keeping Your Wedding Vows?
- Godly Wife: Do You Dominate Your Husband?
- Godly Wife: Have You Cut the Cord?