No one that I know of likes to receive correction. Some people are better than others at knowing what to do with it. As children of God, we’re supposed to be on the lookout for a brother/sister that has stumbled and be able to help them out of it.
Wouldn’t it be a whole lot easier if everyone received what we had to say gracefully? Sure. Of all people, who should we be most open to receiving correction from? Our spouse.
You see, the Bible says “Rebuke a wise man, and he will love thee.” (Proverbs 9:8b) So the question to you, Godly Wife, is how do you receive correction? It is so much easier to lead each other unto good works if those times where you need correcting you are open to it. And, in my mind, this is the ultimate example of an intimate bond– where you are not defensive when correction comes, but, knowing the fact that your husband loves you, you listen to what he has to say, and apply it to your lives.
Let me make the distinction here– I’m not talking about your husband berating you, or belittling you. I am talking about when your husband takes the Word of God and shows you where you might be wrong, and where he thinks you have to change.
Do you show your husband reverence and that you are subject to him (Eph. 5:24) even when he is correcting you? Some ways to do this would be listening closely, carefully, and not listening with the hopes of finding something where you can prove that he is wrong about the correction.
Ephesians 5:25-28 talks to the husbands about how Christ died for the church so that He might cleanse it through the washing of water by the word. If men are to be ones that love you like Christ loved the church, they have to be able to help you toward greater godliness, and you have a big impact on how well or how often he helps you.
So, I ask you, Godly Wife, do you make it easy for your husband to help you grow in Christ through correction, or is it an awful chore that he must endure– something he has to force himself to do?
Question Idea taken from Questions for a Godly Wife
- Godly Wife: Is He Your Master?
- Godly Wife: Who Are You Seeking to Please?
- Godly Wife: Are You His Helper or His Obstacle?
- Godly Wife: Does Your Husband’s Heart Trust in You?
- Godly Wife: How Do You Handle When He is Wrong?
- Godly Wife: How do you Handle Disagreements?
- Godly Wife: How Do You Receive Correction?
- Godly Wife: Are You Drawing Him to You with Your Speech?
- Godly Wife: How Does Your Husband Grow?
- Godly Wife: Who Trains the Children?
- Godly Wife: How Do You Make Your Husband Feel?
- Godly Wife: Are You Intimately Available?
- Godly Wife: Do You Speak To Your Husband with Flattering Words?
- Godly Wife: Are You Helping Your Husband to Greater Heights?
- Godly Wife: Are You Keeping Your Wedding Vows?
- Godly Wife: Do You Dominate Your Husband?
- Godly Wife: Have You Cut the Cord?