(Originally posted on my blog)
There are so many things I have been thinking about lately, meditating upon Scriptures, and one of them is the notion of hatred in the world. Undoubtedly the diversification and isolation among various groups have created some close-mindedness and ignorance, thus leading quite often to misunderstandings, conflicts and hatred, to be honest. Many religions throughout the history have added their share of trouble, too. As soon as a religion becomes a means to power for some groups of greedy people, it stops being about deity, and turns into being about man.
And it goes on…
It is after this wonderful sermon John Piper preached on “The Great Work of the Only Wise God” on December 10, 2006 I really started examine the issue in my heart. How little do we really understand of God… How much there is to learn, to prayerfully ask for, in order to grasp some elementary understanding… We do not even know why we are saved, apart from the fact that this is His mercy…
Look at a tiny excerpt from this sermon (you may go to the site and listen/view/read the whole of it):
God’s Wisdom in Destroying Human Pride (Romans 11:25-26)
Look at verses 25-26 addressed to us Gentiles.
Lest you be wise in your own conceits, I want you to understand this mystery, brothers: a partial hardening has come upon Israel, until the fullness of the Gentiles has come in. And in this way all Israel will be saved . . .
The point of that strange strategy (Jews are hardened, so that we Gentiles get saved, so that when the fullness of Gentiles is in, the fullness of Israel will come in as well)—the point of that strategy is “lest you be wise in your own conceits”! So that no human being might boast in the presence of God! God’s way of keeping covenant is infinitely wise in achieving his main goal of striping human beings of pride.
Isn’t it awesome? I think it is mind-blowing, this realization that I will never never never, as long as I live in this broken body of mine here on Earth, understand my Creator fully. I think this is amazingly fair and just that He deliberately limits my understanding, because my mind is not able to comprehend His Majesty and Wisdom, and only after my going Home I will be gradually taught and shown everything. What a joy to wait for! What a future! What a richness awaits us!
And how futile and silly are human political animosities and struggles, when we know from God’s Word, that He controls everything and laughs at kings and rulers…
Isn’t it comforting to know, then, that I am a child of this Almighty God? This is worth everything.
(1) But now thus says the LORD, he who created you, O Jacob, he who formed you, O Israel: “Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by name, you are mine.
(2) When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and through the rivers, they shall not overwhelm you; when you walk through fire you shall not be burned, and the flame shall not consume you.
(3) For I am the LORD your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior. I give Egypt as your ransom, Cush and Seba in exchange for you.
(4) Because you are precious in my eyes, and honored, and I love you, I give men in return for you, peoples in exchange for your life.
(5) Fear not, for I am with you; I will bring your offspring from the east, and from the west I will gather you.
(6) I will say to the north, Give up, and to the south, Do not withhold; bring my sons from afar and my daughters from the end of the earth,
(7) everyone who is called by my name, whom I created for my glory, whom I formed and made.”