A short time ago we talked about whether we are responsible for those around us in a post entitled, “Am I My Brother’s Keeper?” My illustration was taken from a Dear Abby column in which a girl was asking Abby whether or not she should tell her parents about the fact that her sister was playing this game, and Abby (and I) said that she needed to.
Dear Abby just wrote another column filled with responses about just how deadly this “game” can be, and I thought I’d share some of that here.
There are many different ways this game is deadly:
- It can lead to the need for bigger highs.
- Each time it is “played” it causes brain damage. There’ll be gaps in memory, short-term memory loss, slurred speech and sudden outbursts of anger. It could lead to disorientation, loss of coordination and balance, and seizures.
- They can choke themselves to death.
This is a serious problem with many children stating they know how to do or have tried doing it. Parents, this is serious and deadly. For more information about it, visit www.stop-the-choking-game.com.