Men, the first step in having a strong and healthy marriage is to first make sure that you have been saved from your sins and that you are following Christ.
There are many things that will come up in your marriage: finances, children, decisions, etc. You and your wife will have differences of opinion on these things, but if you have the same Lord and Savior, you will be able to rally around and look to Jesus for the answers to the tough ones.
I cannot begin to stress how important this point is. Without this as a foundation for your life together the two of you will be disagreeing about ideas, but with nothing to turn to. You may have struggles or feelings of hurt, and you will have trouble resolving them.
It’s true, the wives must have this too, but in order to be a godly leader and to build your wife and children up in the Lord you have to examine your heart and make sure that you are changed inside. It’s not enough to know that you prayed a prayer or that you have a head knowledge of God. What must happen is that you must have trusted Christ’s work on the cross as salvation of your sin apart from anything that you can do, and you must believe that God has raised Him from the dead.
Your life should be evidencing fruits of love, joy, peace, patience, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, and temperance. You should have a desire to know the things of God and not find the things of God boring. You should have a desire for your children and your friends to know God. You should hurt for those that die without Christ.
So, take the time, examine your heart and life, and make sure that you are on God’s team, because the rest flows from there.
- Godly Husband: You Must Be Born Again
- Godly Husband: Are You a Leader?
- Godly Husband: Is She Your Helper or Your Slave?
- Godly Husband: You Must be a Lover
- Godly Husband: You Must Be a Protector
- Godly Husband: Do You Do Too Much?
- Godly Husband: Using Your Perspective
- Godly Husband: What Do You Care Most About?
- Godly Husband: How Well Do You Know Your Wife?
- Godly Husband: Are You There?
- Godly Husband: How is Your Thought Life?
- Godly Husband: How Are You Treating “Your” Body
- Godly Husband: Are You Pro-Active?
- Godly Husband: Are You Precise?
- Godly Husband: Are You Keeping Your Wedding Vows?
- Godly Husband: Are You a Provider?
- Godly Husband: Do You Nourish and Cherish Your Wife?